Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Brought to you by the letter "J"


Java has been a great boon to the popularity of the letter "J". Today I noticed a new angle on this.

In Firefox, I keep a "Reference" folder in my Bookmarks toolbar (see picture). When I added a Python link recently, I was struck by how "early" in the alphabet "P" was to be the last entry in the list. I did a double-take on what was in my list.

It's a small list, not a good sample size to draw conclusion from. Still it's funny that 8 of the 19 entries start with "J".

A quick survey of hits from Google of "english initial letter frequency" suggests that the most common letters starting English words are T,O,A,W,B,C,D,S,F,M, and R (different pages give different lists). The letter J is of course always near the bottom.

It would be interesting to see an analysis of initial letter frequency in technology names and see if there are other deviances from the standard English distribution.

No comments: