Monday, July 23, 2007

Diffing Endo

In the brief time I had to look at the ICFP Programming Contest this past weekend, I came up with one result I'd like to share. For background, roughly speaking the task was to provide a prefix to Endo's DNA which would transform this nighttime picture of an alien saying "lambda" to this other daytime picture of an alien cow say "mu":



Source picture



Target picture

Without time to inspect the DNA to find how it generated the source picture, I resorted to merely studying the two pictures to imagine how the transformation could be done in a symbolic way that wouldn't devolve to enumerating all the pictures of the target. What I come up with was this image, which is what you get when you subtract the target picture's RGB values from the corresponding values in the source:


Diff of target-source

No comments: